Saturday, December 11, 2010

Lit Circle Discussion 2

In the second Lit circle discussion, my group completed the task of reaching the second paper clip in the book called “The Child Called It”. What I will be covering up in this post will be the main points and questions my group circle reached this last discussion. Focusing on main ideas, questions, concerns, topics, etc. The questions that I will be responding to are: What were some of the most thought-provoking questions about your book that came up? What were some of the most thoughtful responses to these questions?

Saber begins to notice on how the kids emotions have no effect upon his cold hearted mother. He also pointed out that David can't cower under this womens hands if he wants to survive, he has to stand up for him self and play her games. Justice on the other hand, pointed out questions and opinions on why the mother beats David, and also how he's seen as not a part of the family. Jessica noted how much of a big liar his mother is due to all the times she lied and created excuses for the child's beatings.

" I knew if I wanted to live, I would have to think ahead. I could no longer cry like a helpless baby. In order to survive, I could never give in to her. That day I vowed to myself that I would never, ever again give that bitch the satisfaction of hearing me beg her to stop beating me."(Pg 43)


Last but not least, I noticed and pointed out in the discussion on how his mother monopolized her son into believing that all these beatings and abuses weren't just randomly given to him. Instead she convinced her child that he was a bad boy, and that he deserved what he was receiving, even though David is a pure innocent child, with nothing but the need of a mothers attention and love.

"For my punishment, I wasn't allowed to go with Father and my brothers to the super slide". (pg 54)

Notice the "for my punishment", as if he know's he's done something wrong, but the reality was that his mother just wanted to try out another one of her ideas involving a diaper full of shit being smeared around his face, and getting beat when he denied to eat it. And forces him to clean it off his face when she realized the rest of the family was coming back.

Suddenly Mother let go. "They're back! They're back!" she gasped. Mother snatched a wash cloth from the sink and threw it at me. "Clean the shit off your face," she bellowed as she wiped the brown stains from the counter top. (pg 57)


No comments:

Post a Comment