Thursday, December 16, 2010

Litt Circle Discussion #3

This summary of A Child Called "It" by David Pelzer below has been used once before in my posts. However, since this is the last of the discussions and the book and it's posts itself, I might as well revise what the original story is about.


"This book chronicles the unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games--games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it."

During the discussion, Saber and I got into an argument on the topic of whether or not David's Father is a protector or a savior. In the end there was no right answer to our topic. David clearly states he has two opinions towards "his" father, it's truly his opinion and that, we can not argue about.

Yazen's Argument:

All my respect for Father was gone. The savior I had once imagined for so long was a phony.I felt more angry at him than I did at Mother. (Pg. 91)



Saber's Argument:

By now my shirt was saturated with blood. As I tried to regain my footing, I felt my Father's strong hands helping me. I brushed him away. (Pg. 92)



Digging farther in the discussion, I begin to see the answers to my deeper level three questions. Like for example why he never ran away or stood up to his mother and her discipline. Or to why he couldn't receive any help from others, and every time he tried, his attempt failed to succeed. The reason why he stayed alive all these years was because he kept himself alive. He managed to feed himself. He truly became Independent and learned how to play his mothers games.

I wanted to just lie down and quit, but the promise I made long ago kept me going. I wanted to show The Bitch that she could beat me only if i died, and I was determined not to give in, even to death. (Pg. 91)

No comments:

Post a Comment